[NCRA] - Introduction to Recycling, February 2013
February 25-27, 2013 (Monday - Wednesday), 8:30am - 3:15pm
Recology (SF Recycling and Disposal, Inc.)
401 Tunnel Avenue, San Francisco (adjacent to Bayshore CALTRAIN Station)
Map and directions below.
$45 for all materials - lunch not included.
Scholarships are available for students! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Registrants are advised to consult the book, "Introduction to Recycling: A Guidebook to the Field" which is available for download here. The majority of the presenters will be NCRA members working in the recycling field. Most of the classroom day will be spent listening to guest speakers and completing exercises designed to enhance the basic concepts in the field.
Under the general leadership of Arthur Boone, NCRA’s Educational Chairperson, a series of recycling industry leaders will address specific topics. Speakers to be announced.
The rapid growth of the recycling industry (550% since 1989; CIWMB estimate) means that experienced recyclers continually need to share their knowledge with newcomers so that they may move forward into responsible positions. Sometimes our own work is moving forward so fast that we may lack the time or the skills to provide needed training to newcomers. Thus, NCRA offers this course to help train people who would like a quick overview of recycling by presenting an inexpensive three-day course at a convenient location. Register Now!
Who Should Attend?
The course is designed for newcomers to the recycling field and is an ideal orientation for many individuals such as: entry-level program assistants, interns, professionals from other fields, members of local advisory committees, city council members and staff, members of the board of supervisors, activists, solid waste handlers, recycling facility employees, commercial and industrial facility recycling program managers and staff.
A full refund, minus $10 nonrefundable processing fee, is available for cancellations made 48 hours prior to the first class. Sorry, no discounts are available for attending only part of the class.
Key Terms in Recycling
• Introductory Survey: What do you currently know about recycling
• Basic Terms: Three Rs, The IWM Hierarchy and To Discard or to Dispose.
Basic Concepts in Recycling
• How the materials cycle got broken
• How we recognized our shortcomings
• Conceptualizing the future: hierarchy
• The failure of recycling’s competitors: landfills and incinerators
• Market share of competing ventures—how fast things change
• What’s available for recycling: 12 categories
• How recycling works: drop-off, buyback, curbside
• Processing mixed materials vs. source-separated recycling
• The five types of material sorting/processing facilities
• Encouraging source separation-type recycling: the four policy options
• Five meanings of source reduction
• Three levels/types of recycling
• Market development and recycled product procurement
• Forming new ventures: the six areas of activity
• Recycling’s role in climate c hange
Know Your Materials
• Hands-on demonstrations of basic market grades of materials: metal, glass, paper, plastic, wood, etc.
Equipment Slide Show
• Independent Learning: paper and video resources
Click here to read the first edition of Arthur Boone's Introduction to Recycling: A Guidebook to the Field.
Click here to read the second edition of Arthur Boone's Introduction to Recycling: A Guidebook to the Field.
Directions to 401 Tunnel Ave.
DIRECTIONS FROM DOWNTOWN SF: Go south on Highway 101 and get off at the exit marked "3Com / Tunnel Road" (after the Cow Palace Exit). Go straight on Beatty Road until you reach Tunnel Ave. Turn right on Tunnel. Go one block to 401 Tunnel Ave.
DIRECTIONS FROM COW PALACE: Go east on Geneva Ave. until you reach Bayshore Blvd. Turn left on Bayshore Blvd. After a few blocks, turn right on Blanken, then a quick right on Tunnel. 401 Tunnel will be on the left.
DIRECTIONS FROM THE PENINSULA: Go north on Highway 101 and get off at the exit marked “3COM Park.” At the end of the exit you will come to a stop sign. Turn left onto Alana Way and go under the freeway. The road curves sharply to the left and you will come to another sign at Beatty Road (but there is no street sign for Beatty Rd. Turn right and go to the end of Beatty. Turn right on Tunnel Ave. Go one block to 401 Tunnel Ave.
PARKING: Street parking is easy on Saturday unless there is a football game at 3COM Park. You can also park behind 401 Tunnel Ave.
PUBLIC TRANSIT: MUNI Lines 9 and 15 will drop you a few blocks away at the corner of Blanken and Bayshore. (Consult a map) From there, walk one block east on Blanken then a few long blocks down to 401 Tunnel Ave. There is a Cal Train Station right across the street from us. It's called the Bayshore Station.
San Francisco, CA 94134
|Introduction to Recycling 02 2013 - PayPal payment||$ 47.00|
|Introduction to Recycling 02 2013 - check payment||$ 45.00|